Next session begins: September 6, 2017. Approved by the American Translators Association for five continuing education points. ATA members, enter coupon code ATA at checkout to receive the ATA member price.
Description: “Neither in my undergraduate classes in education nor in some of the more practical classes I took as part of my MA in English (including the course connected to my assistantship as a writing consultant) did I ever experience one course that delivered as much precise and helpful information as this course.” If you’re a beginning translator looking for the nuts and bolts of how to launch and run a successful freelance business, Getting Started as a Freelance Translator will get you there! You’ll create a translation-targeted resume and cover e-mail, a billable hours and rates sheet, and a marketing plan for your translation business. Most importantly, you’ll finish the course with increased confidence in your freelance business skills. What sets my classes apart? Personal attention: you’ll receive individualized feedback on your homework assignments, and we’ll do eight live question and answer sessions during the course (recordings provided if you can’t attend).
Format: completely online, on your own schedule; you do not need to be online at a specific time. The course is suitable for translators anywhere in the world, working in any language combination. Each session is limited in size, so that I can give individual attention to everyone in the class.
Registration cost: $395 ($380 for ATA members)
- Four sets of weekly slide shows with audio tracks, to view/listen to at your convenience. Week one: writing a translation-targeted resume and cover letter. Week two: creating a marketing plan for your translation business. Week three: calculating your rates and billable hours. Week four: building an online presence.
- Twenty “tasks of the day,” with five tasks e-mailed to you at the beginning of every week. These might range from creating a heading for your resume, to researching rates for your language pair, to profiling your ideal client.
- Individual feedback on four homework assignments: your resume and cover letter, marketing plan, rates and billable hours sheet, and online presence.
- Eight live question and answer sessions (recording provided if you don’t want to attend live).
- Access to an online discussion group (through Google Groups) exclusively for students in the course, where you can get individualized feedback on your tasks of the day.